CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Health care despair


O.k, for two days now my cat Alex has been acting odd. When i go to the bathroom he always parks himself in front of me as its a perfect opportunity for me to pet him, but yesterday , instead of looking to be petted, he was squatting over my floor vent. I wondered what the hell he was doing since no urine was coming out and after i was thru being shocked, i thought maybe he likes the air blowing on his private parts, so i didnt know whether to be more suprised that my cat was a pervert or that he was trying peeing in my vent. Later when i saw him try it again, it finally dawned on me that he has a urinary tract infection and since i had one several weeks ago, i could easily feel his pain. Let me add, my cat is my best friend and never pees outside his box so that is why i was so dumfounded at first. I mightadd that i was a vet tech before nursing school, so i feel especially stupid. So i made a veterinarian appointment and , after a thorough exam, my vet determined he did indeed have a bladder infection and gave me antibiotics, and gave alex a shot for comfort. While i sat there waiting for him to treat Alex, i though back how yesterday my boyfriend had called me upset about his doctors visit. Alberto has high blood pressure and high cholesterol and i have been closely monitoring his pressure and writing it down for his doctor. I have spent lots of time explaining the dangers and the need to stop smoking , clean up his diet and take medicine for his pressure. So he made an appointment,took his notebook with the pressures i recorded and went off to visit his doctor who is from India. Alberto called me shortly after telling me the doctor took his 50.00 dollars, told him his pressure was fine, ( like 198/89) is ok, he didnt need pills to stop smoking and to come back if he felt sick, which was the very reason i sent him. He had bad headaches every morning and felt sick at times so i started eliminating all the things it could be and finally hit upon his hypertension. He is a walking timebomb for a stroke and this idiot told him he was fine. I called his nurse and explained that i worked at the number one stroke center in the state and unless things had changed in the last 4 months, the stroke conference i attended taught me he is a prime candidate for a stroke as he has all the risk factors , and did they not look at the pressures i recorded, or take a health history from this man? I was incredulous that they were so inept. I explained that if they werent going to treat him , refund his 50.00 dollars and ill take him somewhere else. Needless to say after that conversation and then a followup one from his boss who used to be a physicians assisstant, i think that doctor realized, he wasnt dealing with some poor dumb immigrant and he gave him his medicine and apologized.I think his boss threat to sue if Alberto stroked or died might have helped,lol, but at least i didnt have to show up in that office and make an ass of myself, so for now all is well with Alex and Alberto . So in the vets office i pondered how it was easier to get my cat treated well, (vet took good health history, did physical exam, gave shot for pain, and antibiotics, and drained bladder , took urine specimen) all for the same amount of money alberto paid to have one immigrant blatantly try to rip off another. How does this crap happen is what i want to know. Anyway both are in vigilant hands for now.

1 comments:

LaGringaMasBella said...

OMG! You found a $50 doctor? That shocked me before I read the rest of the shocking stuff.

An office visit here is $85+

I've been having headaches and swelling in my feet; kidney doctor says it doesn't sound urological and I'm still searching for a real MD.

Sounds like the quacks are nationwide! lol

-Lisa :)